Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Traveller is Always Saying Goodbye

There's a funny thing about meeting people while travelling: they're in your life in passing. You may meet again one day, and perhaps become very close with someone under unlikely circumstances, as I have been lucky to experience. However, it seems that usually there's a confident farewell. This is particularly true when meeting other travellers compared to natives.

Since my arrival, I've met so many people from all over the world. Some I spent a lot of time with, like Franceska. Her and I spent practically every second of the day together for a few weeks; we became very close very quickly. Inevitably, we had to say our goodbyes, not knowing when, or if, we'd see each other again. There were other people I met briefly, like Karl, from Sweden. We met on the beach and spent the day together, but he and I had to eventually part ways, as well. These hellos and goodbyes are constant for a traveller.

Out of the countless people I interacted with, there were only a few I decided to exchange information with, in order to keep in touch. Networking is considered crucial but I don't necessarily believe in making contacts just for the sake of "you never know". Just because I did not give everyone my email, does not mean my time or engagement with them was not influential in some way. In general, I appreciate interactions with people. There are so many fascinating individuals in the world and it's worth striking up a conversation with a stranger sometimes. Even from a short conversation, one can attain a better understanding about a culture, a language, a people. It creates a bond.

Personally, I regard goodbyes as facts; they are an inescapable part of life. Sometimes people say that it is never "goodbye" but only "see you later"; I tend to be more straight forward though. Again, it is not that I am ungrateful to the people who shared their lives with me, even for fleeting moments. But life moves on and we must hug and wave and wish each other the best in their life adventures. I keep with me the memories and lessons from all the people I had real interchanges of the heart and mind with. As for my goodbye to Kenya, it will probably not be the last. Despite the challenges, I feel connected to the country in many ways. I'm sure I will return again one day, saying "mambo!," with a huge smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment